Map | Access & Facilities | Practicalities | Contact

Caerlaverock Estate - Conservation

Caerlaverock Estate - © SNH For information on reproduction rights contact the Scottish Natural Heritage Image Library on 01738 444777 or at www.snh.gov.uknThe Flooders Trail sits within Caerlaverock Estate owned by Lady Mary Mumford and her sister Baroness Herries. Caerlaverock Estate, an official National Scenic Area, leases land to Scottish Natural Heritage who run the estate's National Nature Reserve; to Historic Scotland who run Caerlaverock Castle and to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust who run a separate wildlife reserve on the estate.  All of these initiatives work together to realise the vision of the sisters' late father. In 1957 Bernard, 16th Duke of Norfolk took exceptional measures to ensure that shooting, conservation and recreation could co-exist here.  He shared the firm belief of his close friend, conservationist Sir Peter Scott, that 'bringing people and wildlife together brought benefit to both' and supported him fully when he set up the national ' Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust.' Their ethos continues to underpin everything that takes place on the estate today giving pleasure to the many thousands of people who visit annually.

 


Caerlaverock Estate - © SNH For information on reproduction rights contact the Scottish Natural Heritage Image Library on 01738 444777 or at www.snh.gov.uk